We tailor professional learning opportunities to the needs of individual schools, leadership teams, districts, or consortia of schools. We can provide the following customized consulting and professional development services:
- Strategic planning or curriculum review with school or district leadership teams
- Formal and informal observations of classroom reading instruction followed by coaching conversations
- Professional learning designed to support instructional coaches and literacy leaders
We also provide on-site training sessions on effective literacy instruction on topics including:
- Refining core instruction to meet the needs of diverse learners
- Developing differentiated and challenging independent activities
- Higher order talk and writing about text
- Instruction that maximizes students’ cognitive engagement
- Use of formative assessment data to guide daily instruction
- Developing school-wide systems of support for effective literacy instruction
- Aligning core instruction with standards, assessments, and interventions
If you are interested in customized professional learning opportunities or if you have further questions, please contact our chief consultant, Deb Peterson.
Deb Petersen has been collaborating with teachers and schools to improve reading instruction and implement school-wide reform for the past fifteen years. Current publications include articles in Reading Research Quarterly, Elementary School Journal, and The Reading Teacher. Awards include the International Reading Association Albert J. Harris award for reading research. She has also written multiple book chapters and is the co-author of "No More Reading Instruction without Differentiation."